The Bemidji Pioneer is hiring a full-time General Assignment Reporter to produce in-depth stories on a variety of topics important to the Pioneer’s coverage area. The reporter will work in various storytelling formats, including print and digital.
- Responsible for producing engaging content for a targeted audience that may be used in both digital and print production.
- Will focus on people-driven narratives, weaving in context and research---we want to resonate with and reflect our readers.
- Incorporates multimedia aspects such as video, audio and photography in all stories.
- Brainstorms digital storytelling formats and executes the technological components required.
- Will rely often on data reporting to tell stories and show trends.
- Must be flexible and have the ability to move from one story to the next, tweak the website and work with digital analytics tools.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in journalism and experience in a professional newsroom is preferred. Exceptional recent graduates will be considered.
- Strong organizational, time management and people skills are essential.
- Flexibility is required. Ability to write with confidence on multiple topics.
- Ability to work on deadline, handle sensitive and emotional situations, balance competing demands, set priorities and juggle several issues at once.
- Photography skills a plus. Ability to shoot video or willingness to learn
- Accuracy and ability to write clean, crisp copy in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a driving record that is insurable by the company.
- Work hours include occasional nights, weekends and holidays.