SALC = School Age Learning Center: Kindergarten – 5th Grade
Part Time: Unless specifically noted, the days of the week and hours vary. We can work with your availability.
Aurora: various shifts available between 6:30 am–6 pm Mon-Fri; FT summer hours available
Schlossman: 6:30 am-6 pm various shifts available
Freedom: 10 am-6pm Monday-Friday
All Sites–Subs: various shifts available Monday-Friday
*mileage reimbursement paid for travel to Barnesville, Harwood, and Horace if eligible
The Y is a diverse organization of people joined together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of kids, promote healthy living, and foster a sense of social responsibility. Employees are recruited, selected, and hired based on the highest standards and the greatest relevance to achieving this cause.
The YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties is a not-for-profit community service organization dedicated to enhancing the spirit, mind and body of all persons through quality leadership, programs, services and facilities.
Under the supervision of the SALC Site Director, this position is responsible for the safe supervision of the children enrolled in the School Age program.
Staff Supervision of:
Required Education, Certifications, Experience
1. At least 18 years old
Required Within a Specific Time Frame:
1. Within 3 months of hire: Completion of 12 hours of basic training for licensing.
2. Within 6 months of hire: First Aid, CPR/AED Certification
3. Within 1 year of hire: Listen First training
Other Important Skills and Abilities:
1. Positive, effective, calm and professional communication – verbally and written – with staff, members, children, parents and others – tailoring the communication style to the appropriate audience.
2. The ability to work effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
3. Excellent customer service skills
4. Self motivated
6. Ability to maintain confidential information
7. Working knowledge of YMCA School Age program
8. Has a basic understanding of safety procedures
YMCA Competencies – Leader:
1. Mission Advancement:
• Accepts and demonstrates the Y's values.
• Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs
• Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them
• Supports fundraising
• Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
• Builds rapport and relates well to others.
• Seeks first to understand the other person's point of view and remains calm in challenging situations.
• Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively.
• Takes initiative to assist in developing others
3. Operational Effectiveness:
• Makes sound judgments and transfers learning from one situation to another.
• Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience
• Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings.
• Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
• Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members
4. Personal Growth:
• Pursues self development that enhances job performance.
• Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process.
• Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships.
• Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well
• Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Job Specific Competencies:
1. Assists with the school age planned activities. Plans assigned activities as needed.
2. Greets children and parents in a professional manner.
3. Interacts with children at all times.
4. Is prepared to go into the water with the children on scheduled swimming days.
5. Maintains a safe and clean work environment for children, parents and staff.
6. Works cooperatively with school personnel as needed.
7. Answers parent's questions.
1. Is on time and present for scheduled shift; when unable to work scheduled shift – informs supervisor per policy.
2. Attends mandatory departmental meetings and training sessions as required.
3. Maintains a neat and clean work area, free of hazards.
4. Follows YMCA policies and departmental procedures.
5. Follows all emergency and safety procedures
6. Wears name tag at all times.
7. Other duties upon request by immediate supervisor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, this employee is occasionally required to interact physically and verbally by leading and engaging in individual and group activities with the children by sitting on the floor with them, swimming with them, playing outside with them and other children's activities, as well as being able to speak, hear and understand the English language. This employee frequently is required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
The YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties conducts pre-employment drug screens and criminal background checks on all employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary: *$8.00/hour DOE
400 1st Avenue S
Fargo ND 58103