Human Resources Manager
Hiring Department: Human Resources & Payroll Services
Minimum Hiring Salary/Position Classification: Commensurate with Experience, Full-time, Benefited, Exempt
Benefits: Includes single or family health care coverage (premiums paid for by the university), basic life insurance, EAP, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual and sick leave. Optional benefits available: supplemental life, dental, vision, flexible spending account, supplemental retirement plans.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:00 am - 4:30 pm; occasional work outside of regular hours.
For full consideration, all application materials must be fully submitted by 5PM (Central Time) on the closing date.
The Human Resources (HR) Manager is the primary point of service in providing HR support, advice and counsel on all HR related matters including but not limited to employee relations, organizational development/change, performance management, compensation, talent acquisition/recruitment support, talent development delivery and HR related legal compliance.
They will provide dedicated HR support to their assigned business units and develop close working relationships with the senior leadership and staff collaboratively to understand and support their business objectives.
Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Manages the Recruiting/Staffing/Hiring Process for Staff in their assigned business units:
- Assists departments with developing recruitment strategies including review of all open positions, job descriptions, assisting the department in developing a search and sourcing plan, identifying target markets and recruitment sources. Assists departments in staff recruitment, ensuring requisitions are correct, position descriptions are included and the hiring salary is appropriate. Actively participates when appropriate in initial applicant reviews and screening according to UND/ND policies and procedures for staff recruitment. Recommend and extend formal offer of employment and ensure all new hire paperwork and background checks have been completed. Handle and coordinates all hiring paperwork and/or electronic processes for hiring procedures as appropriate, including the review of payroll paperwork and hire approval. Serves as a resource for departments for questions regarding hires, promotions, salary adjustments, terminations etc. for staff. Provides training to departments on staff recruitment processes and procedures in addition to processes related to the AppliTrack Recruiting System and HRMS. Provide guidance on pre-employment and on-boarding process for all staff positions and partner with supervisors and administrators to ensure newly hired staff will receive appropriate guidance in their introductory periods regarding expectations and documentation. Works with the departments and extends formal offer of employment to appropriate candidate in the recruiting process. Ensure that the appropriate salary offer is made in coordination with the department. Ensures hiring information and forms are current through review and interpretation of new SBHE, NDUS and University policies and state and federal laws and disseminate changes to constituents and provide training as needed.
Employee Relations/Manager Advisory Services to Business Units regarding Staff positions.
- Provide guidance on day-to-day employee relations issues and appropriate investigations and resolution, including handling sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact. Provides a model for effective performance management including coaching on positive employee relations as well as appropriate and effective strategies for handling disciplinary issues. Ensures that all UND/NDUS/SBHE/NDCC policies, procedures and laws are followed. Educates clients on relevant policies and procedures relative to employment issues as well as the legal aspects and implications of various decision options ensure compliance with federal, state (s) and local employment laws and University policies and procedures. Provides support and expertise regarding employee development, professional growth and career mobility within the University. Assists with identifying training and professional development requirements at the local and University level as well as delivering and facilitating various types of training activities. Provides policy guidance and ensures compliance with FMLA and ADA. Coordinates and facilities monthly meetings with representatives from each business unit who coordinate the human resource processes locally. Ensures that these staff are up to date on necessary policies and procedures by communicating changes and updates to them on an ongoing basis. Manages staff performance evaluation system for their designated business units, ensuring that accurate performance standards are developed and maintained.Works with departments to ensure that annual evaluations are reviewed and completed in a timely manner.
- Supports organizational/cultural change by assisting with diagnosis of existing organizational and culture in determining need for change in roles, competencies, behaviors, and the requisite skills required to support the new organizational structure/culture. Works with departments in development of position descriptions. In collaboration with the Compensation Manager, works with departments in analysis of compensation structure. Manages, approves and processes appropriate paperwork with regard to the these duties such as Position Change/Request, Job Data, HRMS Manager Self Service processes, etc.
Human Resources Processes/Committees:
- Serve as the representative for the Staff Advisory Committee (SAC). Communicate out to their assigned business units, any information relevant to staff. Serves on various working groups attached to SAC. Runs reports/queries as necessary to support the division. Serve on other committees or working groups as assigned regarding HR related functions as a member of the UND Human Resource Department or with relation to their HR related duties in their functional area. Attends conferences and workshops to continue professional growth and development. Stay currents on trends, laws, etc. in the Human Resources field. Assists other departments/divisions with investigations, Title IX, etc. as assigned. Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in addition to the ability to negotiate and influence others.
- Must have the ability to develop and maintain strong business relationships and the demonstrated ability to collaborate with all levels of university leadership, staff and faculty by building trust and credibility.
- Must have the ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3-5 years direct Human Resources Generalist/HR Business Partner experience with experience in the following functional areas: recruiting/staffing, employee relations, employee development, organizational development, compensation analysis, training and development, performance management and employment law and investigations.
- Proficient skills and experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
- Valid Driver's License
- Successful completion of Criminal History Background Check.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP
- Experience working in Higher Education.
- Experience working with UND/NDUS/SBHE policies and procedures.
- Experience working with the AppliTrack Recruiting System and/or PeopleSoft HRMS.
To find out why living and working in Greater Grand Forks is way cooler, check out www.GrandForksisCooler.com
All information listed in this position announcement will be used by Human Resources, the Hiring Department, and EO/Title IX for screening, interviewing and selection purposes.
Confidentiality of Application Materials
Note: Pursuant to NDCC 44-04-18.27, applications and any records related to the applications that identify an applicant are confidential, except records related to the finalists of the position, which are open to the public after the search committee has identified the top three finalists who will be invited to campus.
UND is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be invited to provide information regarding their gender, race and/or ethnicity, veteran’s status and disability status during the application process. This information will remain confidential and separate from your application.
ND Veteran’s Preference
North Dakota Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University of North Dakota publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report includes the university’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, as well as three years’ of crime statistics for our campus. As a prospective employee, you are entitled to a copy of this report. The report and statistical data can be found online at http://und.edu/discover/_files/docs/annual-security-report.pdf. You may also request a paper copy of the report from the UND Police Department located at 3851 Campus Road, Grand Forks, ND 58202.