Part Time Airport Operations Attendant
The Part Time Operations Attendant performs general, routine maintenance activities in the repair, maintenance, set up, and janitorial upkeep of airport buildings, grounds, and equipment to ensure the safe, clean and orderly condition of facilities. Tasks performed may vary depending on assignment.
Scope of Responsibility: Following procedural guidelines and observing established standards works without the need for direct supervisory presence. Responsible for the care and safe operation of a variety of equipment with high monetary value.
- Ensures buildings, grounds and equipment are operational and safe for daily functions.
- Performs walk-through inspections for buildings and grounds assigned; visually inspects areas for cleanliness and identifies problems in need of repair;
- Reports unusual problems or those requiring special attention or resources to the supervisor;
- Keeps sidewalks and entry-ways free of debris;
- Identifies safety concerns and recommends actions to deter vandalism and other damage;
- Locks and unlocks building doors and turns lights on and off as assigned after ensuring that persons are not lingering in secured areas.
- Cleans and maintains buildings, grounds, and equipment according to established guidelines to ensure a safe and clean environment.
- Sweeps, mops, dusts, vacuums, removes trash;
- Polishes, washes, waxes, strips, and shampoos floors;
- Performs grounds keeping duties such as snow removal, trash pickup, raking leaves, mulching, pruning, trimming, and planting shrubs and trees;
- Performs cleaning and mowing as a backup to contracted cleaning and mowing services
- Performs safety and security duties.
- Designated first responder for all emergencies including fire, security, and /or mechanical alarms; Performs as trained, frequently without supervision;
- Responds to computer alarms.
- Responsible for crowd control during severe weather conditions to ensure safety and orderliness.
- Performs minor repairs and preventative maintenance on buildings, grounds and equipment as directed.
- Performs minor maintenance/repair activities on buildings, grounds and equipment such as replacing light bulbs, soap and paper dispensers, assembling furniture, replacing parts, and applying paint or varnish, etc.;
- Assists Maintenance Attendants II and III on mechanical, electrical, heating/cooling, plumbing system and other related system repairs such as replacing ballasts; repairing boilers or chillers; opening clogged drains, replacing plumbing fixtures, replacing parts, assembling furniture, repairing walls, painting, etc.;
- Provides troubleshooting for mechanical problems with jetways or baggage handling equipment and repairs when qualified or calls for technical support as needed.
- Sets up and takes down equipment in various airport buildings.
- Moves from storage and sets up tables, chairs, stages, sound and lighting equipment, etc.;
- Takes down equipment and furniture and transports to storage.
- Assists with maintaining supplies and parts for the work unit.
- Notifies supervisor of cleaning supplies and replacement parts required;
- Assists in stocking airport buildings with necessary supplies;
- Assists in loading and unloading various materials into trucks for delivery and/or storage.
- Communicates courteously and professionally and maintains working relationships with others in carrying out job functions.
- Communicates with others in the work unit to provide information relating to work assignments and progress of work or to convey information about conditions or work related needs;
- Conveys basic information to the public when approached with questions.
- Performs all job duties in compliance with safety guidelines and with an ongoing awareness of safety practices.
- Knows and follows airport and city rules as well as sound work and safety practices in order to accomplish the job objectives and avoid injury or loss;
- Wears proper protective equipment when policy requires or conditions indicate a need exists and utilizes proper body mechanics and ergonomics while performing work;
- When potentially unsafe conditions are observed makes efforts to avoid or correct them if they are controllable and draws them to the attention of the responsible supervisor or safety representative in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties and activities as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: The job requires a high school degree or GED and one year of experience performing building and/or cleaning maintenance and repair work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. A valid driver's license is required. A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) may be required for certain assignments. Some prior technical training or experience is preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities include:
- Knowledge of minor mechanical, electrical, plumbing, equipment maintenance;
- Knowledge of basic cleaning/maintenance methods and practices and proper chemical handling;
- Knowledge of grounds-keeping practices (planting, pruning, nurturing, etc.);
- Skill in operating a variety of hand and power tools;
- Manual skill in performing cleaning and maintenance functions;
- Basic computer skills;
- Skill in communication within a workgroup and basic customer service skills;
- Ability to read work orders, instructions, and labels;
- Ability to perform basic math calculations;
- Ability to learn new computer applications.
Physical Demands: Work is performed in an airport environment. Work is generally heavy with considerable variety. Daily work involves operating equipment such as a forklift, a Genie lift, floor scrubbers/carpet machines, skid loader, snow-thrower, and various manual and power hand tools such as hammers, drills, saws, screwdrivers, etc. Work involves moving, pushing and/or lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds; climbing ladders, maneuvering in small spaces, and regular driving. Occasionally works outside performing snow-removal. The job may involve dealing with and referring individuals who are emotionally charged over an issue. There is considerable attention to deadlines.
There is regular exposure to loud noise level. There is regular exposure to cleaning chemicals, and moving equipment.
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, repetitive motions.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Uses approved safety methods for moving material or lifting.
Some requirements in this job description may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. All requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required. To perform this job successfully, the worker must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship. The City Administrator retains the discretion to add duties or change the duties of this position at any time.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, pre-employment physical exam and drug screen.