Performs a variety of technical, administrative, and supervisory work in planning, budgeting, organizing, directing and implementing fire prevention, fire suppression, technical and specialized rescue, hazardous materials and emergency medical services to prevent or minimize the loss of life and property in the City and the department’s rural service area. Full-time, Benefitted, FLSA Exempt position with a salary range of $94,868 - $120,175
Education and Experience:
- Four year degree in Fire Administration, Fire Science, Public Administration, Business Administration, or related field;
- Minimum of 8 years of increasingly responsible command and supervisory experience as a career/paid member in a municipal fire department;
- Experience working in a combination or volunteer fire department required;
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of modern fire suppression and prevention and emergency medical services principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment. Working knowledge of first aid and resuscitation techniques and their application as demonstrated through State/National EMT Certification. Considerable knowledge of applicable laws, ordinances, departmental standard operating procedures and regulations.
- National or Minnesota registered Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B) certification.
- Must have and maintain a Minnesota State Firefighter License at time of hire.
- Must have or obtain Commercial Driver’s License within 3 months of appointment.
- Must have completed National Incident Management System courses: 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 and 800 as required by the Federal government.
- Familiar with fire prevention activities, including fire prevention education and code enforcement, which requires a thorough knowledge of the Minnesota Sate Fire Code.
- Familiar with fire/arson regulations/laws and modern fire investigation techniques.
- Responsible for understanding wildland firefighting and wildland-urban interface fire issues.
- Familiar with all aspects of technical rescue.
- Familiar with hazardous materials emergency response.
- Effective leadership skills.
- Ability to train, supervise, motivate, and develop skills of subordinate personnel. Ability to meet departmental physical standards and perform work requiring good physical condition. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions. Ability to effectively give and receive verbal and written instructions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public.
- Must be able to pass the Department’s physical agility test.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid Class B Minnesota Driver's License.
- No disqualifying criminal history.
Click Apply for all the details to be considered. Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 29, 2020.
The City of Bemidji is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.