Mortgage Loan Underwriter
At Gate City Bank, we invest in the best people...driven people, compassionate people, creative people…people like you! We invest in the best team members because it's what's best for our customers.
Bismarck Downtown, Fargo Corporate Office, Waite Park Cashwise
This position reports to the Fargo, ND corporate office, but is open to remote in North Dakota or Minnesota.
- Review initial file submissions from the office for compliance with documentation and underwriting guidelines, policies, and procedures, in a timely manner.
- Review credit reports, appraisals, verifications, and other underwriting documents in accordance with Gate City Bank and investor/insurer guidelines.
- Communicate questions and underwriting conditions to the loan officer regarding loan files.
- Obtain approval from investors, insurers, or mortgage insurance companies as needed.
- Follow up on missing or incomplete documentation to clarify discrepancies
- Approve mortgage loans within approval limits and reviews those outside these limits for approval by Mortgage Underwriting Supervisor or presentation to loan committee.
- Act as a resource to loan officers regarding loan guidelines and policy.
- Stay current on government and investor guidelines and regulations and assists in communicating changes to other department staff.
- Assist closing processors by communicating closing conditions clearly and answering questions that relate to the loan closing.
- Provide a "Wow" customer service experience for team members and customers.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with team members, leaders, customers, and vendors.
- Prompt and reliable attendance is essential in order to provide expected levels of service.
- Must comply with all Gate City Bank policies, procedures, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Must be detailed-oriented and maintain high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Current Mortgage Underwriter experience is required. Bachelor’s degree; 3-5 years Mortgage Underwriter experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Interpret and use data for decision making.
Experience with FHA, VA, RD and secondary market guidelines preferred.