Successful applicants must possess a minimum of:
- Associate’s degree with coursework in criminal justice or a related field
- Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training License, or eligible for licensure by the date specified in the job notice
- CPR/First Responder training
- Valid driver’s license.
For more information about eligibility, reference the Minnesota POST Board website.
Application / Testing Process
Applicants will complete a written exam which is scored and added together with any veterans’ preference points to develop an initial ranking score. Approximately the top 30 candidates will be invited for an interview. Final rankings are determined by the interview scores and POST eligibility.
A background investigation will be completed on the top ranking candidates and the top three candidates with acceptable background investigations will be interviewed by the Chief of Police resulting in a conditional job offer for the chosen candidate(s). After a conditional offer of employment, candidates must pass a physical assessment, medical examination (including drug and alcohol screening), and psychological evaluation.
If you would like to know more about becoming a City of Moorhead Police Officer, Chris Martin or call 218.299.5284.
Officers generally work a 9-hour shift with 5 days on 3 days off. There are three work shifts:
- Day – 8 am to 5 pm
- Evening – 5 pm to 2 am
- Midnight – 11 pm to 8 am
Officers are subject to callback during off-duty hours and must live less than 30 minutes of driving time from the Law Enforcement Center (911 11 St N, Moorhead, MN).
Officers have an opportunity to serve in the following roles or positions:
- K-9 Handler
- Red River Valley SWAT Team
- Bike Patrol
- Field Training Officer
- DEA Task Force
- Street Crimes Unit
- Computer Forensics
- DARE Instructor
- School Resource Officer
- Specialized Instructor (Defensive Tactics, EVOC, Firearms, etc.)
- Child Passenger Safety Inspection
- Bomb Squad
- Other Internal Positions
Our mission is to maintain peace and order through the provision of police services that are of the highest quality and responsive to the needs of the community. We will contribute to the safety and security of the community by apprehending those who commit criminal acts, by developing partnerships to prevent, reduce or eliminate neighborhood problems, and by providing police services that are fair, unbiased, judicious, and respectful of the dignity of all individuals.
We, the members of the City of Moorhead Police Department, are committed to working together in a problem-solving partnership with the community to prevent crime and improve the quality of life for all.
- Safety - The protection of human life is our highest priority.
- Cooperation - We are committed to working cooperatively with the community and each other by encouraging open communication and active participation to achieve our mutual goals.
- Fairness - We strive to resolve conflict through impartial enforcement of the law. Everyone shall be treated equitably and compassionately.
- Crime Prevention - We will work in a partnership with the community through positive role modeling and education.
- Diversity - We appreciate one another's differences and recognize that our unique skills, knowledge, abilities and backgrounds bring strength and caring to our community.
- Professionalism - Our success depends on the trust and confidence of the community. We shall engage in respectful behavior that reflects the honesty and integrity of police professionals.