Snowcat Operator Level 1
The Entry-level groomer position is trained to safely and efficiently operate snow grooming equipment. This position will carry out the daily grooming plan as assigned by the Maintenance Manager, under the direction of a Level II operator on the late night (9pm-2am) shift. Snowcat Operators ensure that our guests are provided with safe and high-quality skiing and snowboarding surfaces every day during the season. Each night constantly changing weather conditions create different challenges for the Snowcat Operator to prepare a high quality and safe snow surface for the following day's skiers and snowboarders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
● Learn and become familiar with the mountain and trail system
● Learn and become familiar with the snow groomer operation, its normal characteristics and preventative maintenance tasks.
● Learn and carry out essential snow grooming and snowcat operation functions and tasks, including blade work, implement use to include compactor-bar and tiller, lift maze and ramp maintenance, and other special duties and projects as assigned
● Understand and carefully observe the safety considerations of heavy equipment operations in an alpine environment
● Must be able to communicate clearly and punctually with supervisory/management staff about grooming and scheduling ● Develop a focus on skiing surface quality over quantity, while maintaining operational efficiency
● Ideally, groomers will ski or ride their groomed trails from time-to-time to get a first-hand understanding of their product. Any time a groomer is skiing a groomed trail, he/she should be assessing the quality of work, looking for ways to constantly improve the grooming quality
● Keep cab of snowcat clean by wiping down controls after every shift, and by a more thorough cleaning (including all windows, inside and out) at least once a week
● Help keep shop clean and tidy, and assist vehicle maintenance with tasks as requested ● Any other tasks assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Some heavy equipment operations experience preferred, but will train the right candidate
● Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule, including evenings, holidays and weekends are required.
Must be able to walk on even/uneven/slippery terrain, climb/descend even/uneven/slippery terrain, climb/descend stairs, stand and/or sit for long periods of time, bend, stoop, reach, push, pull, lift objects that may be heavy, and be comfortable around and operating heavy equipment
REQUIRED EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
● Experience working in the industry is preferred, but not required.
● High School Diploma or GED preferred
● Must be 18+ years old with current and valid MN Driver's License