Part Time Paratransit Dispatcher
We are now accepting applications for a part-time, Transportation Dispatcher at a hourly rate of $17.28. This position is responsible for dispatching drivers who are transporting clients for Cities Area Transit. This position will be scheduled for evenings. Position requires High School diploma or GED equivalent and one or two years of passenger transportation or customer service experience preferred. Candidates must possess or have ability to obtain, a valid Driver’s License. Applications may be completed online at www.grandforksgov.com or City Hall 255 N. 4th St. Grand Forks, ND 58203. Deadline: open until filled. EEO Employer.
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
This position is responsible for transporting clients curb-to-curb for the Cities Area Transit mobility impaired riders. Serves as the front-line person who is in charge of overseeing the drivers, and dispatching the system’s vehicles and providing a communication link to agency drivers. Handles customer complaints and scheduling issues that arise.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Mobility Manager
Exercises limited supervision over Dial-A-Ride drivers
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS –Essential responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Duties may include using two-way radio, telephone and/or computer to transmit assignments and compile daily operating statistics. Provides direction to and maintains two-way communications with all operators, monitoring system performance and making scheduling adjustments where necessary to maximize on-time performance, minimize customer wait times for on-call or will-call services, and minimize service disruptions as a result of vehicle/operator availability, and/or emergency situations.
2. Projects a positive image to the public and provides exceptional customer service skills, which exhibit patience and consideration. Represent the agency to client base and the general public on an ongoing basis. Follow all City of Grand Forks policies and procedures.
3. Strong computer skills, use of and ability to train on Dispatching software and/or present dispatch system.
4. Assign work, vehicles, and on-board equipment to operators and maintain check-out logs. Work with supervisor when additional personnel are needed in the event of absences or increased service volumes, or to minimize service disruptions as a result of vehicle malfunctions, operator problems and/or emergency situations.
5. Monitor drivers performance, ADA regulation compliance, vehicle status, and assist with passenger problems.
6. Prepare transit reports as required.
7. Perform duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge: Basic communications equipment, procedures and techniques; Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations; Operations, services and activities of a municipal dispatch center; Use and operate the full array of Public Transit equipment independently; Modern and complex principles and practices of radio communications and dispatch; Interpret and explain City policies and procedures; Analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine proper course of action. Strong knowledge of Grand Forks urban area, and the region.
Skills: Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including City officials and the general public; Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities; Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and demonstrating intellectual capabilities; Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties. Duties include utilizing established policies and practices in strategy development and problem solving. Detail oriented, accurate and organized. Data entry computer skills.
Abilities: Learn modern and complex principles and practices of radio communications and dispatch; Learn the operations, services and activities of a urban transit system and dispatch center; Ability to perform multiple tasks under stressful situations; Ability to work independently and with a variety of individuals. Self-motivated and strong customer skills. Excellent safety and service record. Ability to read, write and speak English clearly. Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a variety of individuals including co-workers, supervisors, and client base.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
One or two years passenger transportation and customer service experience preferred.
High School diploma or GED equivalent.
License or Certificates:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid drivers license
Environmental and Physical Conditions:
Dispatch environment; exposure to computer screens; high noise levels from radios, printers and telephones; Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time