Survey Crew Chief
This job announcement will be used to fill one position in the District 4 Fergus Falls Surveys Office. This position is posted at the Transportation Specialist level.
- Performs as survey lead worker.
- Oversees or operates real time kinematic global position systems or total station.
- Performs as survey lead in construction survey office activities.
- Performs as survey lead in the field activities.
- Performs set-up, calibration, use and maintenance of survey equipment.
- Investigates and locates lot corners, monuments and section corners, leads land survey field work and documentation.
- Communicates with contractors, landowners, consultants and supervisors to report progress or review work assignment.
- Prepares, processes and evaluates survey data for location and construction surveys.
- Processes data using CADD drafting and computational software.
- Performs file maintenance and back-up of data to close-out and archive projects.
- Creates digital terrain models.
- Performs as project lead in the development of new or updated data processing procedures, instructing and mentoring survey employees.
- Leads and assists with performing 3rd order surveys for photo control, construction and location surveys and right of way monumentation.
- Performs as survey lead in field construction.
- Organizes land survey data, analyze, build or process information and assists the land surveyor in resolving issues regarding highway alignments and right of way.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The level of experience to perform this job at the Transportation Specialist level can be achieved with the following:
- Four years of experience performing surveys (e.g., land, location, construction, and/or geodetic control surveys, etc.), mapping or related activities.
- Three year’s experience performing surveys (e.g., land, location, construction, and/or geodetic control surveys, etc.), mapping or related activities PLUS a combination of one year of experience performing roadway inspection, design or related activities. Note: A Two year Civil or Construction Technology Degree or the following four year degrees: Architectural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering; Land Surveying / Geomatics; or equivalent may substitute for one year of experience. (In order for education coursework to be considered in lieu of work experience you must submit a copy of your transcripts).
- Valid class D driver's license
- Working knowledge of English sufficient to read, write, speak and understand oral and written information; communicate with employees and the general public in-person or via two-way radio and other electronic devices; and to maintain routine written logs and simple records.