Position InformationPosition Description & Details:
The Extension Agent will work collaboratively with a team of Extension, research professionals, county residents and leaders to provide science-informed education, collaboration and facilitation for the 4-H youth development program in Cass County.
Cass County 4-H is a dynamic youth program with 87 adult/youth volunteers and 356 enrolled youth in traditional clubs.
This is a full-time position serving Cass County. This position is based in the NDSU Extension-Cass County office located in Fargo, ND. Supervision is provided by the Extension district director serving Cass County. Responsibilities:
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities: Educate
- Develop, enhance and provide curriculum-based youth development education and programs to county youth and adults.
- Successful Extension programs will require you to:
- Conduct needs assessment and issue identification that result in programs based on the needs of county residents.
- Interpret and integrate pertinent research information into educational programs.
- Develop expertise in subject matter competency area(s).
- Plan, implement, deliver and evaluate educational programs.
- Market and share impact of programming through mass and social media.
Collaborate and Facilitate
- In conjunction with support staff, volunteers and the 4-H Council, plan, conduct, complete and reflect on 4-H activities and events that meet the mission of the ND Center for 4-H Youth Development. Some examples include: Communication Arts Contest, Project Expo, Project College, competitive judging teams, the Red River Fair, shooting sport events and special interest project development activities.
- Work with volunteers to provide educational opportunities based on enrolled Cass County 4-H project areas for urban and rural populations.
- Develop strong working relationships with local Extension staff, state specialists, community leaders, media, local schools, partner organizations and county fair or achievement day committees/boards to enhance 4-H youth development.
- Collaborate with local teams to plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate the 4-H youth development program using the 4-H Program Quality Framework and ensure a safe, supportive environment for youth and volunteers.
- Work with the ND Center for 4-H Youth Development and the 4-H Council to ensure policy requirements and protocols are met and routinely reviewed including: youth protection adherence, risk management/insurances, 4-H charters, constitutions and by-laws, and proper money collection.
- Assist with multicounty, regional and state activities in 4-H youth development program areas.
- Plan, promote and lead 4-H camping opportunities at the state level and/or the county level in collaboration with the ND Center for 4-H Youth Development.
- Provide opportunities for youth to be involved in programs and events at the district, state and national levels.
- Ensure compliance with federal, tribal, state, and local law, policies and procedures, including civil rights, youth protection and NDSU Human Resources.
- Be an active learner to keep relevant with new teaching strategies, advances in the professional field, technology, news and related research.
- Be self-directed with minimal supervision in the work environment.
- Weekend and evening work is required.
- Travel within the county and occasional travel outside the county is required.
- Overnight trips are required on occasion for meetings , 4-H youth development activities and professional development.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of Extension programming.
Behavioral expectations include:
- Represent NDSU Extension in a manner that reflects well on yourself, other Extension employees and Extension as a whole.
- Work ethically, with integrity and respects confidentiality.
- Contribute to an environment of cooperative, supportive and positive working relationships with co-workers and clientele.
- Resolve differences constructively. Uses tact and courtesy at all times.
- Use effective time management.
- Exhibit positive attitude, image and personal motivation and professionalism.
Monday - Friday
8:00 - 5:00
Some evening and weekend work required Advertised Salary:
Commensurate with education and experience Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree related to education, communication, youth development, agriculture, family consumer science or related discipline appropriate to the position, required by date of hire. The ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, partner, and stakeholders. Basic computer skills and ability to use Microsoft office programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to use technology for communication, information finding, program delivery and reporting. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups and through mass media. Ability to conduct oneself professionally, be self-directed in the work environment, work flexible and extended hours. Familiarity with various ethnic & socioeconomic audiences, an interest & ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and a commitment to the principles of diversity. Valid driver's license. Access to a personal vehicle. Experience in 4-H youth development or applicable professional youth development experience. Preferred Qualifications:
1. Master's degree in related subject area.
2. Experience in recruiting and managing volunteers.
3. Experience in designing and delivering educational programs.
4. Experience with problem solving and conflict management.
5. Experience distributing and/or creating content information via social and mass media.
6. Recent Extension work experience. Applicant Materials Required:
Cover Letter including how you meet any and all minimum and preferred qualifications
Screening will begin 8/9/21 Benefits:
NDSU offers a comprehensive benefits package with includes single or family health insurance coverage with premiums paid for by the university - with an effective date for new employees the first of the month following date of hire. Other benefits include, wellness benefits, basic life insurance, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual leave, EAP, sick leave and holiday pay. Optional benefits include supplemental life, dental, vision, long-term care insurance, flexible spending account, and supplemental retirement plans. Land Acknowledgement
We collectively acknowledge that we gather at NDSU, a land grant institution, on the traditional lands of the Oceti Sakowin (Dakota, Lakota, Nakoda) and Anishinaabe Peoples in addition to many diverse Indigenous Peoples still connected to these lands. We honor with gratitude Mother Earth and the Indigenous Peoples who have walked with her throughout generations. We will continue to learn how to live in unity with Mother Earth and build strong, mutually beneficial, trusting relationships with Indigenous Peoples of our region.About Us
North Dakota State University is distinctive as a student focused, land-grant, research university. Our main campus is located in Fargo, ND with Extension Service and Research Experiment Station locations across the entire state. NDSU has been listed in the Top 100 public research universities in the United States for research and development in agricultural sciences, psychology and social sciences, based on reported research expenditures.
NDSU is an exciting place to work offering a stimulating and diverse environment richly populated with people pursuing life-long learning and personal growth. Employees often attend on-campus cultural events, lectures, athletic events and enjoy walks through our beautiful campus.
NDSU employs over 6000 full-time and part-time employees across the state, making it the second largest employer in the community. NDSU is the best college in ND, according to Money Magazine (September 2018). NDSU was named a 2019 Best Value College by Forbes. Fargo made Livability.com's top 10 list of cities to find a job and ranked at #11 for best places to live overall.
NDSU offers a wide array of professional opportunities including faculty, executive, managerial, professional, technical, paraprofessional, office support, servers and crafts/trades. Like a small city, NDSU operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Full time employees are offered a superb benefit package to include 100% company paid health insurance premiums and tuition assistance for employees and immediate family members. All of us at NDSU play an important role in serving our students and public constituencies. We encourage motivated and talented team members that thrive in a higher-ed environment to join our university! Mission
We provide transformational education, create knowledge through innovative research, and share knowledge through community engagement that meets the needs of North Dakota and the world. Additional Information No Smoking Notice:
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10. EO/AA Statement:
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable. Veteran's Preference Notice:
This position is subject to North Dakota Veteran's Preference requirements.