Full-time, benefited position working typically 72-80 hours per two week pay period. Days of work are primarily Monday - Friday typically from 6:00 am - 2:30 pm working in ER with every other weekend rotation typically working 2:30pm - 11:00am or 6:00 am - 2:30 pm. Holiday work is two holidays per year. This position may occasionally float to other areas as needed.
Performs necessary tasks for assigned department including; registering patients and scheduling appointments. Ensures that accurate patient information and any obtainable payments are collected. Explains all pertinent hospital policies and procedures.
- Greets patients and guests upon entering the hospital or assigned department, ascertain needs, and directs appropriately.
- Interviews patients, gathering information , including but not limited to ; demographic data, insurance information, and obtains appropriate signatures.
- Interacts with patients of all age groups (infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics) while performing duties.
- Discusses payment arrangements with patients, receives payments and prepares receipts.
- Escorts patients and their families to their rooms or outpatient department.
- Inputs patient information into computer and, upon completion, distributes forms to appropriate personnel.
- Answers and screens calls in a prompt, pleasant, and efficient manner takes messages and communicates messages to the appropriate person in assigned area.
- Overhead pages code calls as by procedure and policy of JRMC.
- Prepares and organizes the daily appointment/treatment schedule for assigned department clerk is supporting.
- Conducts reminder/preservice calls for service area supporting.
- Quick register or Pre-registers patients for all appropriate hospital departments, gathering information for the admission process, and giving instructions and other pertinent information to the patient.
- Make customer services calls to all scheduled patients, reminding patients of scheduled appointments and giving instruction and other pertinent information (especially estimated upfront pricing) to the patient.
- Works closely with Patient Access Specialist of service area to assist in inquires about preauthorization.
- Responds appropriately to emergency situations i.e fire alerts, stat calls, etc.
- Completes the scanning of documents to accounts.
- Verifies patient insurance information with insurance companies to determine eligibility, type of coverage, and primary payer.
- All clerk roles are required to know emergency room registration processes.
- Assist Financial Counselor in determining co-pay, coinsurance deductibles.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Work requires a high school level of knowledge. Must be able to follow oral or written orders. Good written and verbal communication skills are needed. Admissions-Emergency Department-Night
: Must be certified as a Nurse Aide or have completed course work in a nursing or vocational program to satisfy requirements for placement on the ND Department of Health Nurse Assistant Registry.
One year clerical experience required. Knowledge of medical terminology and insurance plans is beneficial.