Full-time, benefited position working 72-80 hours per two week pay period. Days of work are typically Monday - Friday with occassional weekends. Hours of work are various shifts from 7:30 am- 4:00 pm, 8:00 am-4:30 pm, or 8:30 am - 5 pm. Holiday work includes two per year. This position is primarly in the Cancer Center and floating to other registration needs.
Performs necessary tasks for assigned department including; registering patients and scheduling appointments. Ensures that accurate patient information and any obtainable payments are collected. Explains all pertinent hospital policies and procedures.
- Greets patients and guests upon entering the hospital or assigned department, ascertain needs, and directs appropriately.
- Interviews patients, gathering information , including but not limited to ; demographic data, insurance information, and obtains appropriate signatures.
- Interacts with patients of all age groups (infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics) while performing duties.
- Discusses payment arrangements with patients, receives payments and prepares receipts.
- Escorts patients and their families to their rooms or outpatient department.
- Inputs patient information into computer and, upon completion, distributes forms to appropriate personnel.
- Answers and screens calls in a prompt, pleasant, and efficient manner takes messages and communicates messages to the appropriate person in assigned area.
- Overhead pages code calls as by procedure and policy of JRMC.
- Prepares and organizes the daily appointment/treatment schedule for assigned department clerk is supporting.
- Conducts reminder/preservice calls for service area supporting.
- Quick register or Pre-registers patients for all appropriate hospital departments, gathering information for the admission process, and giving instructions and other pertinent information to the patient.
- Make customer services calls to all scheduled patients, reminding patients of scheduled appointments and giving instruction and other pertinent information (especially estimated upfront pricing) to the patient.
- Works closely with Patient Access Specialist of service area to assist in inquires about preauthorization.
- Responds appropriately to emergency situations i.e fire alerts, stat calls, etc.
- Completes the scanning of documents to accounts.
- Verifies patient insurance information with insurance companies to determine eligibility, type of coverage, and primary payer.
- All clerk roles are required to know emergency room registration processes.
- Assist Financial Counselor in determining co-pay, coinsurance deductibles.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Work requires a high school level of knowledge.
One year clerical experience required. Knowledge of medical terminology and insurance plans is beneficial.