Prefers Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) OR equivalent clinical experience
This role would act as the Americans Diabetes Association (ADA) Coordinator for the Greater Fond du Lac Ministries.
Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm, 1st week - 5 days, 2nd week - 4 days; no on call
Assesses learning needs, develops an education plan, provides education and evaluates outcome of education of patients and caregivers with diabetes. Provides education in the inpatient and/or outpatient setting. Participates on teams for policy and protocol development. Serves as a resource and provides staff education as indicated. May oversee the day-to-day operations of DSMES program(s) and ensures that all National Standards (NSDSMES) are met and maintained at all times.
* Assesses patient/family/caregiver baseline knowledge about diabetes as a chronic illness, diabetes management, and diabetes complications, as well as readiness to learn and provides diabetes and self-management education to patients, their families and caregivers; this includes technical training in capillary blood glucose measurement, safe injection technique, and insulin pump management.
* Monitors and evaluates patient responses to therapeutic interventions in collaboration with other members of the health care team; provide ongoing assessment and recommendations to the treatment team and patient, family and caregivers for adjustments in the plan of care as required.
* Coordinates with designated staff to effectively integrate medical therapy into the overall management of diabetes; regularly consult nursing and physician staff about diabetes management issues and provide just-in-time education as needed.
* Utilizes the principles of health literacy to develop and deliver effective diabetes education to patients, their families and caregivers and provides formal education about diabetes and diabetes management to members of the health care team.
* Participates in continuous improvement by monitoring trends in hypoglycemia/hyperglycemia and utilizes evidence to improve diabetes care delivery structures and processes
* May have oversight of the planning, implementation and evaluation of the DSMES program(s).
* May arrange and coordinate the activities of the Advisory Group.
* May be the liaison between the DSMES staff, the Advisory Group, other departments and administration.
* May monitor and facilitate maintenance of DSMES staff qualification (CE credits, licensures, and registrations)
* May be responsible for maintaining ADA Recognition and participating in the evaluation of the program's effectiveness.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Graduate of accredited school of nursing, pharmacy or registered dietitian
* No experience required