Engineering Technician II or Engineering Technician I
The City of Moorhead is accepting applications for either an Engineering Technician I or Engineering Technician II working in the Engineering Department.
These skilled technical position performs intermediate work in field and office of engineering, surveying project sites, performing quantitative research, drafting plans, preparing maps, calculating and recording data and quantities, performing algebraic and geometric design computations, operating survey equipment and utilizes AutoCAD Civil 3D software, performing construction staking on project sites, inspecting construction projects for compliance with plans and specifications, preparing and maintaining records, files and reports, conducting safety and maintenance inspections of City infrastructure, and related work as required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS FOR BOTH POSITIONS UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE:
- Develops and prepares preliminary engineering reports, plans and specifications for a wide variety of utility and transportation infrastructure projects, including sewer and water mains and streets for approval by the Senior Engineer.
- Performs preliminary design calculations for estimating quantities and designing line, grade and alignment of utility and transportation infrastructure projects for approval by the Senior Engineer.
- Develops, prepares and/or reviews and updates utility and transportation infrastructure maps, database and comprehensive plans.
- Maintains and preserves public works records; drafts as-built records of projects and infrastructure; documents changes for the operation and maintenance programs such as GIS and AutoCAD.
- Operates survey equipment including GPS equipment, Total Station equipment, Auto levels, grade rods, etc.; performs construction staking crews and completes as-built surveys using CAD equipment.
- Performs the following duties on Federal, Municipal, State Aid and locally funded projects: drafts and calculates field notes to document material testing and certification, contractor installed quantities, project alignment and grades at designated locations according to project plans. Additionally, performs construction inspection to ensure compliance with the plans, specifications and applicable Federal and Municipal State Aid project development requirements. **(Eng. Tech I only works on local projects and not federal or state projects)
- Researches records, maps and other information to obtain typical engineering data such as location of easements, sewer stubs, water mains, hydrants, property special assessments, etc.
- Drafts detailed dimensional drawings such as street, water, sewer, drainage and other utility plans, systems and projects.
- Reviews and recommends approval of shop drawings and submittals for compliance with project material specifications.
- Performs office-related functions including preparing correspondence, maps, presentation materials, brochures, field notes, printing materials, answering phones and responding to inquiries from contractors, developers, property owners, staff and the general public; prepares and maintains records, files and reports as required.
- Creates charts for statistical data representation; completes finished designs and calculations from sketches.
- Uses computer assisted drafting (Auto CAD Civil 3D) equipment and software.
- Engineer Tech II ONLY: Performs other duties as requested. Which may include: Receives, reviews, and approves or denies public right-of-way applications for utility installation/repairs, curb/gutter repairs, driveway approach installation/repairs, and right-of-way restoration work. Inspect and manage the restoration and construction timeline of work, produce notifications and correspondence for the public and GPS and maintain records pertaining to the applied right-of-way construction and restoration. Performs inspections of in service bridges and maintains maps, drawings, plans and inspection reports in accordance with FHWA and MnDOT.
- Attendance at off-site courses/trainings/seminars may be required.
Engineer Technician I - Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Prefer Associates/Technical degree in civil engineering, engineering technology, surveying, drafting, construction management, or related field
- Experience in the utilization of current AutoCAD Civil 3D software, performing and assisting in surveying, construction management, construction inspection, or related field
- Valid Driver's License
**Engineering Technician I - Excludes work on Federal, Municipal and State Aid projects.
Engineer Technician II - Education and Experience
- Associates/Technical degree in civil engineering, engineering technology, surveying, drafting, construction management, or related field
- Minimum of three years experience in the utilization of current AutoCAD Civil 3D software, performing and assisting in surveying, construction management, construction inspection, or related field
- MnDOT Certifications (within 12 months of hire)
- Aggregate Production
- Grading & Base 1&2
- Bituminous Streets 1&2
- Concrete Field 1&2
- Valid driver's license
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
The Engineering Technician has general knowledge of surveying and civil engineering principles, procedures, practices and techniques; general knowledge of engineering maps and records; Engineer Tech I includes general knowledge of city policies, laws and regulations; Engineer Tech II includes city, state and federal policies, laws and regulations; ability to interpret operating, maintenance, technical and procedure manuals and engineering plans and specifications; ability to prepare, organize and maintain engineering field and office data, reports and systems; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions; skill in operating necessary tools and equipment such as personal computer and word processing, spreadsheet, database, and Civil 3D software and standard drafting tools; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, supervisors, other departments, vendors and the general public
The City of Moorhead offers a positive, friendly and collaborative work environment that is team focused where everyone is working together to serve our community. Our employees are passionate about their jobs and making our community one to be proud of. We are #MoorheadProud
The City of Moorhead is an equal opportunity employer and a proud employer located in the metropolitan region of Fargo-Moorhead