Overview Starting Pay: $28.90 to $36.13 DOE
This is a casual position, working 16 hours per schedule. Days of work are Monday - Friday with variable hours, typically 6:00 am - 2:30 pm.
Coordinates total nursing care for patients of all ages utilizing the nursing process; directs patient and family teaching; provides leadership by working cooperatively with ancillary nursing and other patient team personnel in maintaining standards for professional nursing practice in the clinical setting.
- Receives patient into pre-admission area, assesses vitals, and assists patient with pre-operative preparations.
- Reviews chart for complete and proper paperwork. Reviews patients health history and completes pre-operative orders.
- Documents all procedures/tasks, medication administrations, and assessments thoroughly and accurately in the electronic health record.
Post-operative (Phase I & II):
- Receives patients into recovery room. Receives report from OR staff and anesthesia practitioner. Notes and documents level of consciousness adequacy of respiration, and vital signs. Patients are assessed frequently until discharge criteria has been met.
- Provides nursing care including patient assessment, dressing status, medication administration, and implementation of practitioners' orders.
- Observes for changes in patient condition. Provides any needed interventions or urgent care to maintain patient safety. Notifies practitioner and/or anesthesia of changes promptly. Documents any interventions provided to patient, the patient's condition, and the notification of practitioner in the electronic health record.
- Assists iin developing, reviewing, and revising all policies and procedurese for the PACU.
- Demonstrates the abillity to respond to a flexible workload during crisis and emergency situations.
- Capable of working independently.
- Prepares patient for discharge including assisting with redressing, checking surgical dressing, and reviewing discharge instructions and medications with the patient and the responsible adult the patient is being discharged to a responsible adult.
- Thorough and accurate documentation of all discharge procedures.
Other Nursing Duties:
- Circulates endoscopy procedures; maintaining correct documentation, administering nurse sedation, and assisting in the procedure as needed.
- Maintains the standards of nursing care and implements the policies and procedures of the hospital and Clinical Services.
- Assesses the patient's condition considering age-specific developmental needs, educational needs of patient and family and discharge planning needs.
- Delegates nursing care to other health care members in accordance with the patient's needs and the nursing personnel's capabilities and qualifications.
- Administers medications, IV therapy and performs treatments for assigned patients as ordered by the physician.
- Ensures the equipment is maintained in a clean and safe manner.
- Participates in orientation of new personnel and performance evaluations of nursing staff.
- Coordinates nursing care of patients when scheduled for therapy or procedures by other departments.
- Establishes and maintains effective communications with patients, families and staff to contribute to the hospital mission.
- Initiates and/or assists in emergency measures for sudden adverse developments in patients such as cardiac arrest.
- Participates in staff development programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Work requires a professional level of knowledge acquired by completing an accredited RN nursing education program. Must hold RN licensure from the ND State Board of Nursing for the current year.
PACU Staff nurse position requires completion of BLS CPT, advanced cardiac life support class, and PALS certiification.
Prefer a minimum of one year nursing experience following completion of RN nursing education program.
Prefer minimum of nine months recent perioperative experience or complete approved college perioperative program. Nurses who do not meet this minimum requirement must successfully complete a surgical competency-based orientation program.
Time to reach competency on the job: 3 weeks to 3 months following orientation to the work area.