Research and Development Formulations Manager
Swanson Health Products is seeking an experienced formulations manager. Ideal candidate will have background in supplement or the pharmaceutical industry.
The Formulations Manager will serve as the primary company resource providing technical expertise on Swanson Health Product’s new and existing portfolio of products. This role will be the in-house expert, managing all aspects of troubleshooting and adjusting formulations for powders, encapsulated products, creams, liquids, gels, and tablets, and other nutritional delivery systems, both for internal manufacturing and with our co-manufacturers.
- Develops and/or performs all formulation requirements on new and existing formulas; including as needed creation of theoretical formulation, bench mix development, product description/formulation sheet, lab tests, stability testing/ monitoring, color verification, etc.
- Owns and drives the process for updating product specifications and maintaining formulation files
- Documents test results, specifications, and final formula procedures in a standard format for inclusion in the Master File Participates when required in the technology transfer from pilot scale to commercial manufacturing runs
- Interacts with cross-functional teams to gather all necessary information regarding formulation, project status, raw material research, results, etc. in order to make informed decisions on the best path forward.
- Keeps abreast of current trends, practices, developments, and regulatory changes, which would impact products, procedures, or formulation
- Provides technical knowledge in guiding other formulators, assistants and technicians both internally and with our co-manufacturers.
- Participates in process improvement and product investigations
- Reformulate to improve existing products as needed
- Assist in resolving technical issues and drive the completion of investigations that affect the technical scope and makes recommendations for various options that would resolve the issue
- Proposes and implements recommendations to processes and procedures designed to increase efficiency, safety, or quality
- Makes skilled and informed adjustments to internal specifications and PTPs and ensures each Co-Manufacture has the complete technical understanding of the formula
- Maintain a positive and professional working relationship with peers, management, and support resources, with a constant commitment to teamwork and exemplary customer service.
- Conducts self in the presence of customers and community so as to present a professional image of SHP.
- Expertise in GMP and FDA regulations
- High degree of analytical and problem solving skills
- Technical writing skills
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages subordinate supervisor(s) who supervise employee(s); is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these units. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience Required: Minimum of a Bachelors of Science in Food Science or related field is required, as well as 3 or more years experience with increasing responsibilities with 3-5 years applicable industry experience preferably in nutritional supplement/and or pharmaceutical product development. Or; an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and duties of the job as listed above.
Equipment and Software Used:
- Microsoft Office Products
- General office equipment
- Millennium Payroll Software
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by state and federal law.
Ability to sit for extended periods of time - frequently
Ability to lift up to 25 pounds – occasionally