Requisition Number 17-0122
Post Date 8/1/2017
The paralegal will be responsible for all legal process, including garnishments, levies, subpoenas, bankruptcy filings, discovery responses and related requests. The paralegal will work closely with deposit operations and related internal divisions to take appropriate actions in response to subpoenas, etc. The paralegal will also implement the appropriate legal records holds, work with various personnel on various vendor management projects, and work with in-house counsel on various corporate governance and insurance matters.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 1: Respond to legal process, including garnishments, levies, subpoenas, bankruptcy filings, discovery responses and related requests - 60%
- Accept legal process and timely determine appropriate response(s).
- Work with other areas within bank to respond to legal process, such as deposit operations and information technology.
- Obtains and organizes documents and information for discovery responses, subpoenas, regulatory filings and other matters.
- Maintains working knowledge of bank systems and other data to respond to third-party requests.
- Facilitate internal communication and coordination with other departments.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 2: Legal Record Holds 10%
- Creates, updates and manages correspondence related to legal holds to ensure appropriate document and electronic production and preservation
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 3: Vendor Management 10%
- Work with attorneys and compliance personnel to implement and maintain vendor management process.
- Basic contract review.
- Advise attorneys and internal clients regarding contract terms.
- Insure that company vendors have supplied company with all required supporting documentation, records and other information.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 4: Corporate Governance 10%
- Maintain corporate records.
- Create agendas and prepare materials in advance of board and committee meetings.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 5: Insurance and Risk Mitigation 10%
- Work with risk professionals on various matters related to insurance and risk mitigation.
- Maintain policies and endorsements.
- Obtains and organizes documents, records and information requested by insurance providers.
- Paralegal or legal assistant certificate from an ABA approved institution required.
- Bachelors degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience, preferably in a litigation capacity in a corporate legal department.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite products, including Word, Excel and Power Point required).
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- High level of maturity, personal initiative and sound judgment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (MUST BE MET WITH OR WITHOUT A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION)
- Extended periods of time sitting at a desk and using office equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer/laptop for approximately 8 hours per day.
- Extended time is spent reviewing physical and electronic documents.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Periodically, may also do light lifting of supplies and materials which weighs in at approximately 20 lbs.
- Will spend most of time in an indoor environment.
Alerus Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.