Hiring Department: Facilities Management
Minimum Hiring Salary/Position Classification: $45,000/annually, Full Time, Benefited, Exempt
Benefits: Includes single or family health care coverage, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition waiver, annual and sick leave, EAP and more.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 A.M - 4:30 P.M, Summer hours may vary, All Facilities Management positions are subject to callbacks seven day a week, 24 hours a day. Weekend work as required.
Position Details: A Complete Position Description is available as an attachment in the bottom right corner of this position announcement.
This position is responsible for the visioning, management, development, review and coordination of custodial, landscaping and laundry services at the University of North Dakota.
Duties include but are not limited to
Responsible for performing journeyman tasks in the installation, repair and maintenance of plumbing systems and equipment for commercial and industrial applications including high pressure steam, storm and sanitary sewers, and water lines.
Must be able to withstand long hours of lifting, pulling, tugging, kneeling, twisting and working with hands above the head without restrictions.
Acquire job materials with understanding of products and requirements for their use.
Follow a Preventive Maintenance program to maintain the plumbing components of the campus.
Ensure performance of all aspects of general plumbing following recognized procedures and techniques for such work.
Follow shop safety procedure compliance. Install plumbing according to code compliance, proper methods and procedures.
Maintain records as required or assigned.
Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- Responsible for up keep and installation of campus piping from city main to building and from building meter to outlets or fixtures.
- Responsible for repairs and replacements to old piping to meet current plumbing codes.
- Responsible for incorporating plumbing and building codes in the installation and maintenance of plumbing fixtures.
- Responsible for the installation and maintenance of steam, gas and electric water heaters. Also maintain, repair, or replace hot water storage tank
- Responsible for installation, repair and preventative/ predictive maintenance of steam valves, reducing valves and steam traps.
- Must maintain highly efficient heating systems at a reasonable cost.
- A working knowledge of steam traps to repair or replace trap parts.
- Repair and replace piping from city sewer main to building drains.
- Repair and replace piping from building drains, vents and sewer stacks to building sewers.
- Repair and replace old piping to meet plumbing codes.
- Must set catch basin to grade and grade pipe to city main.
- Must meet plumbing code.
- Maintain bedding materials that support pipes and use correct codes for proper depth of different service pipes.
- Use codes for types of back fill around piping and the depth for compacting.
- Back fill over pipe.
- Installing steam pipes from campus Steam Plant to various buildings.
- Install steam, condensate and larger hydronic piping in buildings to heating units or testing laboratories.
- Repair and replace old piping.
- Maintain piping for condensate return to power plant.
- Responsible for routine repairs to steam, condensate and hydronic piping.
- Needs to have knowledge of different types of pumps and their mechanical capabilities.
- Will need to perform preventative maintenance, and maintain and replace pumps as needed.
- Responsible for doing some clerical work such as archiving job information into UND’s database and filling out purchase requests.
- Will need to coordinate with supervisor, coordinators, administration, other technicians and trades.
- Must be able and willing to work in buildings containing hazardous materials, including asbestos.
This position will use/demonstrate:
Excellent analytical and organizational skills
Ability to interact, communicate, and deal with students, faculty, staff, and co-workers.
Effective communication skills; both verbal and written
Must obtain Grand Forks Mechanical Installers License within one year of hire.
Requires use/operation of power tools, large sewer auger, pipe threader, and plumbing snakes.
Ability to maintain/repair storm, sanitary, water and steam infrastructure systems for buried campus utilities.
High School Diploma or Equivalent.
Plumbing Certificate/Diploma OR successful completion of a UND approved apprentice program.
Must hold or acquire a North Dakota Journeyman Plumbing License before hire.
Experience working with local and state plumbing codes.
Basic computer skills/experience.
Valid Driver’s License.
Successful completion of Criminal History Background Check.
1 year experience with steam distribution systems.
Experience with metering for plumbing systems.
Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
Experience with FAMIS or other work order management software.
Experience with UND campus, policies and procedures.
To find out why living and working in Greater Grand Forks is way cooler, check out www.GrandForksisCooler.com
All information listed in this position announcement will be used by Human Resources, the Hiring Department, and AAO for screening, interviewing and selection purposes.
To be considered for this position, all application materials must be fully submitted by 5PM on the closing date.
UND is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants are invited to provide information regarding their gender, race and/or ethnicity, veteran’s status and disability status on the form found at http://und.edu/affirmative-action/apcontrolcard.cfm. This information will remain confidential and separate from your application.
ND Veteran’s Preference
North Dakota Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University of North Dakota publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report includes the university’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, as well as three years’ of crime statistics for our campus. As a prospective employee, you are entitled to a copy of this report. The report and statistical data can be found online at http://und.edu/discover/_files/docs/annual-security-report.pdf. You may also request a paper copy of the report from the UND Police Department located at 3851 Campus Road, Grand Forks, ND 58202.