Journeyman HVAC Systems Mechanic
Hiring Department: Facilities Management
Minimum Hiring Salary/Position Classification: $50,000+/year, benefited, full-time, non-exempt
Benefits: Includes single or family health care coverage, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition waiver, annual and sick leave, EAP and more.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm; Summer hours may vary.
Position Details: A Complete Position Description is available as an attachment in the bottom right corner of this position announcement.
- This position will be responsible for performing journeyman tasks in the installation, repair, and maintenance of an institution's refrigeration, air conditioning, heating systems, ventilating systems, HVAC controls and other equipment.
- May assist in supervision of other mechanics in the performance of same.
- Must be able to withstand long hours of lifting, pulling, tugging, kneeling, twisting and working with hands above head without restrictions.
- Must have working knowledge of mechanisms and applications found in industrial and commercial refrigeration and air conditioning, including mechanical and electrical diagrams and schematics, control application, types of compressors, recovery of refrigerants, troubleshooting, and repairing skills.
- This position inspects, adjust and services refrigeration/air conditioning and heating/ventilating equipment and pneumatic electronic and electronic controls.
- Diagnosis and repairs, overhauls or replaces all types of systems equipment and parts, including compressors, pumps, thermostats, damper motors, pneumatic operated valves, heat exchangers and exhaust fans.
- Operates equipment, tools, and diagnostic devices of the trade.
- Collect, analyze and evaluate test data for proper operation and balancing of air and hydronics systems in a safe and efficient manner.
- Will work in buildings containing asbestos materials.
- Coordinates and communicates work with various campus customers.
- Subject to call-backs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Must obtain Universal Refrigeration License within one year of hire.
Will be tested and must be approved to wear a full-face respirator. (conditional offer based upon passing this test)
Will be required to obtain City of Grand Forks Mechanical Installer License.
High school degree with minimum 1 year training at accredited trade school in refrigeration and air conditioning systems or an apprenticeship program that meets UND's approval.
Must have Type II Refrigeration License.
Experience using computers.
Must have a valid driver's license.
Successful completion of Criminal History Background Check
5 years experience in the refrigeration and air conditioning field.
Experience with HVAC air and hydronics balancing.
Experience using MS Word and Excel.
To find out why living and working in Greater Grand Forks is way cooler, check out www.GrandForksisCooler.com
All information listed in this position announcement will be used by Human Resources, the Hiring Department, and EEO/AA for screening, interviewing and selection purposes.
To be considered for this position, all application materials must be fully submitted by 5PM on the closing date.
UND is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants are invited to provide information regarding their gender, race and/or ethnicity, veteran’s status and disability status on the form found at http://und.edu/affirmative-action/apcontrolcard.cfm. This information will remain confidential and separate from your application.
ND Veteran’s Preference
North Dakota Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University of North Dakota publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report includes the university’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, as well as three years’ of crime statistics for our campus. As a prospective employee, you are entitled to a copy of this report. The report and statistical data can be found online at http://und.edu/discover/_files/docs/annual-security-report.pdf. You may also request a paper copy of the report from the UND Police Department located at 3851 Campus Road, Grand Forks, ND 58202.