Position Location-Fargo, ND
Swanson Health Products is seeking a Lab Manager for our Quality Assurance Laboratory. Ideal candidate will have 8+ years Lab experience and 5 or more years managerial experience.
The primary function of this position is to manage the Quality Control lab and lab employees to assure adherence to specified quality parameters. Ensure that all testing are completed in a timely manner and equipment is suitable for use, maintained and calibrated to provide accurate and reliable results.
- Lead the analytical laboratory team in conducting assays to assure product quality matches the company’s specifications. Serve as a working manager performing routine analytical work as needed.
- Review/approve notebook and data to determine acceptability of analytical work and analyst performance. Sign off on analytical results report and issue Certificate of Analysis (CoA).
- Maintain proficiency in all laboratory procedures. Assure that only the most appropriate and scientifically validated methods are used for analysis.
- Participate in instrument selection, evaluation, acquisition, installation and performance monitoring; oversee equipment maintenance and trouble-shooting.
- Assure proper inventories of consumables and other laboratory supplies-reference standards, chemicals, glassware, gases, etc. - to assure uninterrupted laboratory work-flow.
- Coordinate work-flows and prioritization with other department managers to assure results for each tested product are available in the required time-frame.
- Write and maintain laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs). Assures all laboratory SOPs are followed and regulatory requirements are met (i.e. 21 CFR Part 111 Dietary Supplement Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Laboratory Practices, OSHA, etc.)
- Collects/reports QC KPI’s and metrics
- Assure that the laboratory is kept clean and organized at all times.
- Maintain a positive and professional working relationship with peers, management, and support resources, with a constant commitment to teamwork and exemplary customer service.
- Conducts self in the presence of customers and community so as to present a professional image of SHP.
- Prior laboratory management experience
- Experience with the following instrumentation: HPLC-DAD-MS, ICP-MS, FTIR
- Extensive experience with chromatographic analytical techniques
- Experience in analytical testing of vitamins, minerals, botanicals, and other dietary supplement ingredients and food products preferred
- Ability to understand and explain the principles behind the various testing equipment and methods
- Ability to translate technical data to non-technical individuals
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), wet chemistry, lab safety, USP methods, and AOAC methods
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple projects at once
- Good trouble-shooting and problem solving skills
- High attention to detail and the importance of accuracy
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate a positive attitude
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages subordinate supervisor(s) who supervise employee(s); is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these units. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience Required: Bachelor’s degree in a science related field with eight to ten years of laboratory experience and a minimum of five years supervisory experience required. Or; an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and duties of the job as listed above.
Equipment and Software Used:
Laboratory instruments and all their accessory equipment (auto-samplers, software, etc)
Microwave for sample digestion
Microsoft Office Products
General office equipment
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by state and federal law.
Ability to sit for extended periods of time - frequently
Ability to stand for extended periods of time - frequently
Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time - frequently
Ability to lift up to 25 pounds - occasionally