Duties include care of clients who are seeking services for alcohol and drug withdrawal that does not require medical attention. This position has a great flexible work schedule.Applicants should have strong communication and assessment skills. An Associate’s degree in human services field or two years of experience in substance use disorder, behavior health or related field preferred. Apply online through the City website www.grandforksgov.com or at the HR Dept., City Hall, Grand Forks, ND. Deadline for submitting applications to HR is 5 PM, Friday, April 6th, 2018. EEO Employer.
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
The Detox Advocate performs a wide variety of responsible and complex technical duties in support of the Social Detox Center, including meeting the immediate needs of the client seeking services for alcohol and drug withdrawal that does not require medical intervention. As a direct contact for clients, the Detox Advocate provides a safe and respectful environment when conducting guest intakes and completing documentation.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Project Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES – Essential responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the mission, vision, and values of the Grand Forks Social Detox Center and Grand Forks Public Health Department.
- Perform all job duties in compliance with the Social Detox organizational policies and procedures.
- Maintain a safe and supervised living environment that is efficient and effective on a day-to-day basis.
- Complete required paperwork including HIPAA and 42-CFR within the timeframes provided.
- Maintain and update client files, and clearly communicate with other Social Detox staff through written and verbal reports.
- Continuously develop understanding and knowledge of area resources to refer and connect clients with services offered in our area.
- Assist with maintaining facility compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Focus on having positive interaction with clients; this includes but is not limited to meeting basic needs, identifying additional needs based on their current situation, being available to answer questions, and assisting with problem solving, while demonstrating professionalism and respect.
- Perform other duties and activities as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Knowledge: Local, state, and federal laws, regulations and codes relating to social detox activities; principles and procedures of maintaining client records; Principles and procedures of maintaining confidentiality and appropriate boundaries; Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
Skills: Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; Understand and follow oral and written instructions; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; Maintain mental capacity, which allows for effective interaction and communication with others; Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties; Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
Abilities: Operate office equipment including a computer and other peripheral equipment; Convey accurate information and/or representation of the mission of the Social Detox Center; Take direction from others; Establish and maintain healthy and effective working relationships; Commitment to developing cultural competencies and respect for diversity and the differences between people and groups; Multi-task, prioritize, organize, and manage time effectively.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Two years of experience in substance use disorder, behavioral health, or related field preferred.
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree in human service field, social work, health care, psychology, criminal justice, rehabilitative services or related field.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license.
Environmental and Physical Conditions:
Most work is performed in the Social Detox Center environment. There is a requirement to actively participate in day-to-day maintenance activities. Frequently there is exposure to disagreeable working conditions associated with client or guest behavior, illness, or hygiene.
Essential and marginal functions will require some light to moderate lifting and carrying, standing and sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Travel Requirements: Minimal local travel for activities or professional development.
Work Hours: Varied shifts including morning, evening, overnight, and some weekends.