The Duluth News Tribune is hiring a full-time Outdoors Reporter. Primary responsibilities include:
- Responsible for collecting ideas, gathering facts, analyzing and reviewing data and ideas in order to produce content on multiple platforms.
- Receives assignments and develops own ideas into relevant news content.
- Gathers verifies and provides information for stories through interviews, observations and research.
- Organizes material, determines focus and writes stories according to editorial style and format standards, for multiple platforms.
- Builds rapport and stays attuned to local, regional and state issues, attends local and regional board meetings.
- Collaborates with the newsrooms visual and design teams to ensure stories are presented to readers in the best possible way.
- May be responsible for editing of stories.
- May need to use video and camera equipment as needed for stories.
- Contributes to the website by planning online components for stories, writing online stories and composing additional content; may be responsible for blog content.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communication or a related field.
- Professional experience writing, AP style preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen, interview and take accurate notes and write accurate, clear and concise stories.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills in word processing and content management systems.
- Ability to handle sensitive and emotional situations, maintain confidentiality, balance demands, set priorities and manage multiple issues/projects at a time.
- Knowledge of Freedom of Information Act and libel laws.
- Know how to use video and camera equipment and edit photos.
- Editing of content.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is insurable by the company.
- Must carry an acceptable level of vehicle insurance as required by the company.