OMC Peer Support Specialist
The White Earth Tribal Council is seeking a qualified candidate to be an Peer Support Specialist will serve as a role model, mentor, advocate and motivator to recovering individuals and to help prevent relapse and promote long-term recovery.
- Implements recovery coach philosophies, interventions, and strategies.
- Provide Recovery support by mentoring, education, advocacy and not-clinical support.
- Provides Recovery Education to clients and family members to encourage family recovery.
- Promotes client’s self-advocacy in recovery goal development and planning.
- Assists clients and family with community connections and access to community resources thorough case management, care coordination and community outreach.
- Maintains all forms of documentation and reports to ensure records to meet Provider and third-party billing requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the demographics, culture, customs and geography of the Native American Ojibwe Culture.
- Knowledge of substance use disorder treatment philosophies and interventions including family recovery.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnoses treatment and rehabilitation for promoting behavioral change regarding individual, family and community health.
- Knowledge and ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong, and reaching conclusions to solve problem
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. Bachelor’s degree in human services or related filed preferred.
- Minimum of 12-months total of successful full or part-time paid or voluntary related work experience or have 24 credit hours of post-secondary education.
- Must be free of chemical use problems for minimum of 6-months immediately preceding hiring and must sign a statement attesting to the fact and freedom from chemical use problems must be maintained during employment.
- Must have a valid MN Driver’s License and insurance for travel between sites and other business-related destinations.
- Must pass a criminal background check and drug screening