WELSA Probate Technician
The White Earth Reservation Tribal Council is currently seeking a qualified applicant who will be responsible for utilizing knowledge of cases, laws, statutes and decisions in accordance with the White Earth Reservation Land Settlement Act (WELSA) to prepare all documents for heirship determinations to be submitted to the Office of Hearings and Appeals.
• Investigate facts and law of cases to determine causes of action and to prepare cases.
• Research land allotments, tribal enrollment, probate and family records that will result in accurate and complete family history.
• Prepare legal documents, including: briefs, pleadings, appeals and contracts.
• Prepare affidavits or other documents, maintain document file and file pleadings.
• Gather and analyze research data, such as statutes, decisions and legal articles, codes, and documents.
• Provide statistical information to WELSA Director for annual report to Congress.
• Respond to inquiries of heirs, parties in interest, attorneys and administrative judge.
• Direct and coordinate law office activity.
• Keep and monitor legal volumes to ensure that law library and heirship determinations up-to-date.
• Travel to various court facilities when needed to testify at hearings.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of and ability to follow and apply the policies and procedures of the White Earth Tribal Council and the WELSA Department.
• Skilled in using personal computers and related software such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), and Access.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with co-workers, staff and administration.
• Knowledge of inheritance laws, White Earth Land Settlement Act (WELSA), legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, agency rules, and terminology pertaining to real estate.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply commonly accepted rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation in written communication to develop management reports.
• Ability to identify and carry out actions to achieve goals.
• Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Ability to work cooperatively within a group to make the work of the group successful and effective.
• Skilled in the operation of office equipment, including: copiers, fax machines, and/or 10-key adding machines.
• Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
• Skilled in customer service and the ability to interact with internal and external customers with tact and diplomacy.
• Knowledge of the White Earth Reservation demographics, culture, history, and lifestyles.
• Two (2) year Associate Degree in Business Administration (or related field) and one (1) year Probate or Realty experience; or combination or education and experience.
• Valid Driver’s License and insurance for travel between sites and other related businesses.
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Apply for WELSA Probate Technician
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly