The Daily Republic in Mitchell, SD is hiring a fulltime reporter. This position is responsible for collecting ideas, gathering facts, analyzing and reviewing data and ideas in order to produce content on multiple platforms.
- Receiving assignments and developing own ideas into relevant, well-written news features.
- Gathering, verifying and providing information for stories through interviews, observation and research.
- Organizing materials, determining a focus and writing according to editorial style and format standards, both for the newspaper and for online.
- Building a rapport with people in our community to develop stories and story ideas.
- Collaborative work with the newsroom’s visual and design teams to ensure stories are presented to readers in the best way possible.
- Planning coverage with news director.
- Being attuned to local, regional and state issues that beat reporters and wire services are covering.
- Contribute to the website by planning online components for stories, writing onliens stories and composing additional content.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in journalism is required and some experience with professional writing is preferred.
- Flexibility is required. Ability to write with confidence on multiple topics.
- Ability to handle deadline stress and work on deadline.
- Ability to relate with people in the community.
- Ability to handle sensitive and emotional situations, balance competing demands, set priorities and juggle several issues at once.
- Must have computer skills in word processing and database management, strong writing and interviewing skills, including the ability to listen to interview subjects and take accurate notes.
- Knowledge of freedom of information and libel laws.
- Work hours may include weekends and holidays.
- Must possess a reliable vehicle covered with acceptable insurance.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a driving record that is insurable by the company.