The Perham Focus in Perham, MN and the Wadena Pioneer Journal in Wadena, MN are looking for a full-time motivated Multi-Media Reporter to join our team. The desire to be part of a community newspaper, feature writing experience, the ability to shoot engaging photographs and strong organizational skills are preferred. These newspapers serve the communities with award-winning coverage, a strong online presence and top-quality targeted magazines. This position could be based in either the Perham or Wadena office and includes a healthy benefit package including PTO, paid holidays, medical, 401k and more!
- Coverage of a variety of issues and events and people in the communities the newspapers serve.
- Coverage of breaking news, including crimes, accidents and natural disasters. Must be able to independently cover breaking news, write the story immediately and get it online.
- Taking photos that are of print quality to accompany stories, as well as shooting video to attach to the story online.
- Writing stories as assigned for special sections; as well as general assignment stories as assigned.
- Generating and pursuing story ideas from around the communities.
- Regularly cover evening and weekend events/meetings.
- Post to and update the newspapers’ websites.
- Rewrite and edit press releases.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College education in mass communications/journalism preferred.
- Excellent grammar, spelling and typing skills.
- Ability to work well with others under pressure and deadlines.
- Photography skills required and some experience with videography preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen, interview and take accurate notes and write accurate, clear and concise stories in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented and the ability to work well with others.
- Prompt and reliable attendance.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is insurable by the Company.
- Must have a reliable vehicle with an acceptable level of insurance.