The Duluth Media Group is accepting applications for an Investigative Reporter. This position will be responsible for responsible for collecting ideas, gathering facts, analyzing and reviewing data and ideas in order to produce high-impact, high-interest watchdog journalism. This position may be assigned to one or more departments within the newsroom.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives assignments and develops own ideas into relevant news content.
- Gathers verifies and provides information for stories through interviews, observations and research.
- Organizes material, determines focus and writes stories according to editorial style and format standards, for multiple platforms.
- Builds rapport and stays attuned to local, regional and state issues, attends local and regional board meetings.
- Collaborates with the newsroom’s visual and design teams to ensure stories are presented to readers in the best possible way.
- May be responsible for editing of stories.
- May need to use video and camera equipment as needed for stories.
- Contributes to the website by planning online components for stories, writing online stories and composing additional content; may be responsible for blog content.
- Writes in-depth and investigative stories on local people and issues.
- Develops stories beyond the routine.
- Asks deeper questions, submits public records requests and leverages data to produce thoughtful enterprise work that puts a spotlight on local issues.
- Works as part of a two person investigations team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communication or a related field.
- Professional experience writing, AP style preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen, interview and take accurate notes and write accurate, clear and concise stories.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills in word processing and content management systems.
- Ability to handle sensitive and emotional situations, maintain confidentiality, balance demands, set priorities and manage multiple issues/projects at a time.
- Knowledge of Freedom of Information Act and libel laws.
- Know how to use video and camera equipment and edit photos.
- Editing of content.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is insurable by the company.
- Must carry an acceptable level of vehicle insurance as required by the company.