Forum Communications in Fargo, ND, is hiring a full-time copy editor responsible for editing copy for Forum Communications Co. properties, including Forum News Service.
Essential duties include:
- Edits Forum Communication Co. stories -- including news, features and sports copy from Forum News Service and local newsrooms -- to conform to AP/local style. Stories should be free of grammatical errors and misspellings. They should be accurate, clear and fair.
- Ensures that story headlines capture the tone and impact of the story without compromising accuracy. Headlines should be eye-catching and appropriate for the story.
- Verifies facts, dates and statistics for stories being edited.
- Proofs pages of daily and weekly newspapers using InDesign and works with the Forum Communication Co. Design Hub designers to ensure that all publications we design are attractive and conform to the Forum Communications style guide.
- Proofs pages of every special sections to ensure that they are distinctive, accurate and error-free.
- Ensures timelines are met to make production schedules.
- Posts articles and related content to various Forum Communications Co. websites.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, graphic design or a related field.
- Two or more years of experience editing for a newspaper or magazine.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Ability to be flexible and work under pressure and deadlines.
- Must be able to move between copy editing, page proofing and posting online through CMS.
- Experience with InDesign software and/or graphic design.
- Must be able to work days, nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Familiarity with sports is beneficial.