Assistant County Attorney
This position will handle a mixed caseload including criminal cases, social service cases, and civil work associated with the county attorney's office. Strong courtroom and legal research skills are essential.
Our office consists of the elected county attorney, five assistant county attorneys, five support staff, and a part time investigator. We are located in the Alexandria Lakes Area - the ultimate destination to live, work, play and prosper.
Juris Doctorate is required. Must have passed the Minnesota State Bar Exam and must remain certified. A minimum of five years of experience as an attorney recommended. Previous experience in a county attorney's office is preferred. Must have a valid MN driver's license, and employment is contingent on passing a background check.
This position is open until filled; the first review date of applications is March 22, 2019. Click Apply for all the details and to be considered. Faxed or snail-mailed applications/resumes will be rejected. EO/AAE.
Douglas County offers an exceptional benefit package to full time employees including vacation, sick, funeral leave, and holiday pay. Also included in this benefit package is health, dental, and life insurance; medical and dependent care reimbursement accounts (Section 125 Plan) and supplemental insurance; deferred compensation plan and Public Employees Retirement (PERA).
The purpose of this position is to assist the County Attorney by providing legal services for Douglas County. Duties include, but are not limited to: prosecuting crimes within the county; advising and representing various county departments, County Board and other agencies on a variety of legal issues; reviewing reports; providing legal opinions; drafting legal documents, search warrants, and other documents for filing with District Court. The position also represents petitioners in civil commitment proceedings and emergency guardianship/conservatorship proceedings, acts as counsel for Child Support Enforcement and represents the county in the collection of child support and foster care reimbursement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews various reports, documents, forms and letters to determine appropriate action within mandated time frames.
- Drafts appropriate complaints, petitions, motions, or warrants and files the same with the court in criminal cases, child welfare cases, child support cases, human services appeals, commitment actions, termination of parental rights actions, welfare fraud cases and others as assigned.
- Represents Douglas County in other proceedings, felony cases, gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor cases not handled by a city attorney, commitments, child support cases, termination of parental rights and welfare fraud cases through trial phases.
- Supervises and evaluates assigned staff; manages employee concerns; directs work assignments, and counsels/disciplines employees when necessary; provides departmental training and development.
- Works with office staff, court administrator's staff, and other agencies regarding scheduling of hearings, the filing of documents and progress of cases.
- Interacts with other legal entities from other states for the purpose of coordinating prosecutions, extraditing criminals, transferring juveniles, and establishing consistent treatment of individuals traveling between states.
- Discusses and advises law enforcement personnel concerning pending investigations; reviews police reports, witness statements, and assesses sufficiency of evidence.
- Drafts correspondence to attorneys, human service personnel, court, law enforcement officers, school personnel, probation agents, and other county agencies.
- Advises other agency personnel and affiliated personnel regarding legal and procedural issues.
- Researches and applies legal issues as they arise and remain informed of statutory changes and case law as changes occur.Represents County Attorney's Office at meetings and local interest groups, advising groups on various legal issues, policy issues, providing reports on criminal activity within the county as assigned.
- Represents Douglas County on appeals as assigned to the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide information to law enforcement outside of normal office hours as needed.
- Answers phone and takes messages.
- Prepares subpoenas and miscellaneous documents.
- Copies video and audio recordings as needed.
- Directs and screens inquiries from the general public
- Attends continuing legal education courses to keep license to practice law current.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT HIRE:
- Juris Doctorate required.
- Requires research of new legislation each and every year in all aspects of the County Attorney responsibilities including criminal, juvenile, family, and extradition law, and all other areas of practice.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
- A background check is required.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Must have passed the Minnesota State Bar Exam and remain certified throughout employment.
PREFERRED / DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- A minimum of five years of experience as an attorney recommended.
- Previous experience in a county attorney's office is preferred.