TITLE: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
POSITION: Exempt Full Time
The Executive Director is responsible for leading, directing and overseeing strategic planning, memberships, programming, facility, staffing and operation of the Perham Area Community Center, in support of the organizational mission and goals. The Executive Director provides leadership, direction and support to the Board of Directors in developing organizational goals, attaining/allocating resources, and establishing policies. The Executive Director provides leadership and direction to staff in carrying out the key roles assigned to them.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities): Leadership Skills and Abilities
- Proactively identify fitness trends, wellness needs of the community and facility improvements that will positively impact members and/or the community .
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure the effective operation and delivery of programs desired within the community .
- Support the organization's mission ensuring achievement of the goals and objectives.
- Ensure establishment of and adherence to policies and procedures.
- ls progressive in attitude, plans well in advance and has excellent follow through.
- Ensure and oversee a strategic planning process is instituted that results in the development and implementation of a quality strategic plan.
- Ensure and oversee the identification and evaluation of opportunities for improvement and implement plans for improvements.
- Proposes annual goals and objectives of the organization based on the strategic plan.
- Provides quarterly written progress reports to the board and conducts an annual evaluation of the plan together with the board.
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
Board Relationship and Development
- Together with board members, identify. recruit and develop effective board members.
- Conduct new board member orientation and provide ample opportunities for board growth and development.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board, including keeping the Board informed of the organizations activities, progress and problems. Providing the board adequate and timely information for their decision-making process.
- Brings sound recommendations to the board. Initiates and directs the development of policies approved by the board. And follows up on all problems or concerns brought to his/her attention.
- Ensure a welcoming atmosphere and exceptional customer service are delivered consistently.
- Understand and stay current with the needs of people served and the trends in our industry.
- Accept recommendations and criticism from the people served and respond appropriately.
Financial Resource Management
- Ensure development, implementation and monitoring of the annual budget in collaboration with financial management staff and Board Finance Committee.
- Effectively communicate financial performance at monthly board meetings.
- Ensure the annual budget is funded and organization has adequate cash flow.
- Oversee the development of financial strategic plans and, as necessary, participate in cultivation and solicitation visits with development staff and board members.
- Direct grant writing, bonding requests and continually evaluate new funding sources.
- Routinely keep the Board advised of the present status of buildings, equipment, programs and other pertinent information.
Human Resource Management
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain a high-performance management team
- Supervise personnel including participation in handling of problem employees and selection of new employees.
- Encourage the development of staff, follow human resource policies closely and maintain high staff productivity.
- Demonstrate a commitment to creating a positive and supportive work environment.
- Develop strategic alliances with community leaders and local officials.
- Develop collaborative partnerships with other organizations, members, families, funders and community organizations.
- Participate in community organizations.
- Represent the organization in dealing with other institutions, business firms, government agencies and the general public.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Ensure the Marketing Plan is continually updated and progress toward goals is achieved.
- Ensure visibility and promotion of programs, services and activities.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications- from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Actively promote the organization to the public.
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional manner
- Participates in professional activities for her/her industry.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning for self and staff.
- Lead special projects
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- A minimum of five to seven years' experience in managing programs or operations in a non-profit agency, with at least two years in a leadership capacity; or an equivalent combination of experience.
- Thorough knowledge of: the mission, objectives, policies, programs and procedures of the Perham Area Community Center; the principles and practices of managing non-profit organizations; and resource development activities and sources of funding
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct, plan and coordinate operations.
- Leadership skills, including negotiation, problem solving, decision making, delegation.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, staff, community groups, and other related agencies.
- Basic knowledge of asset management including financial resources and property.