Director of Sales - Sunflower (1900005Y)
The Director of Sales- SunOpta Sunflower/Bird food will lead all sales and account management efforts and be the main point of contact for the Sunflower product lines. Responsible for successfully managing all account management activities across cross functional teams, product categories, and production facilities, working closely with procurement, operations and finance. Support and strengthen the existing business, develop new incremental opportunities, and deliver financial and volume targets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Selling, Relationship, and Project Management
· Understanding Customer Needs – Uses knowledge of the customer to determine customer needs; Understands customer’s strategic priorities, organization, processes, systems, and business operations. Execute regular customer business reviews achieving customer alignment.
· Reaching Agreement – Impacts and influences decisions. Can negotiate contract terms successfully with customers and bring contracts to signature. Manage pricing updates/changes effectively.
· Communication (written, oral, listening) – Uses listening, oral, and writing abilities to clearly convey messages effectively in a variety of settings, both internally and with the customer.
· Adaptability & Flexibility – Can change plans in the moment and make tactical adjustments appropriately. Remains calm and confident even in stressful situations.
· Building Trusting Relationships – Develops and maintains solid connections with key stakeholders both inside SunOpta and our Valued Customers. Uses these relationships to influence key decision makers.
· Customer Strategic Alignment
· Strategic Thinking & Problem Solving – Understands what information is necessary to make decisions decision. Considers various points of data and points of view collected from others and considers both long term and short impact of actions on choices made. Manages questions, conflicts, and problems well, particularly with the customer.
· Leverages capabilities across SunOpta – Communicates the capabilities of the division and the company to our customers. Recognizes when opportunities present themselves and knows how to capitalize on them for both SunOpta and the customer.
· Joint Business Planning – Develops a holistic, objective-driven, shared key account plan that helps grow the customer’s and the SunOpta business. Makes sure the plan is well communicated to ensure successful implementation.
· Gains the knowledge of SunOpta and competitive landscape in the marketplace.
· Execution – Executes plans with customer effectively and efficiently.
· Results Focus & Accountability - Completes all necessary follow ups on commitments. Meets or exceeds business objectives. Takes personal responsibility for results.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree in related field; MBA or Master’s Degree, preferred.
- Ten plus years sales experience, preferably with Food Industry and/or ingredient knowledge including export knowledge or understanding.
- Strong background in sales and customer management
- Experience negotiating customers contracts and has proven success closing deals.
- A proactive individual who can ‘think on your feet’ to make the necessary adjustment and deliver to plan.
- Strong Project Management and communication skills. Technical sales experience a plus
- Consumer-centric Thinker – Superior understanding of Sales and Consumer Insights.
- Strong Leadership Potential – critical that the candidate be able to assume additional responsibilities in future which may include assignment scope expansion and promotion within the organization.
- Customer-centric Focus. Places the customer at the center of everything he/she does.
- Understands core principles of Customer Management & developing Long Term Partnerships.
- Strong Drive for Results.
- Highly Creative Thinker – does not accept status quo.
- Experience in successfully managing customers. Demonstrates ability to successfully acquire new customers.
- Enagement Skills – able to rally a team behind and initiative and ensure that all details are diligently managed from ideation to commercialization.
Travel up to 30% time.
An Equal Opportunity Employer