Assistant Director of Marketing Strategy
Hiring Department: Marketing & Creative Services
Minimum Hiring Salary/Position Classification: $62,000/Annual, Full-Time, Benefited, Exempt
Benefits: Includes single or family health care coverage (premiums paid for by the university), basic life insurance, EAP, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual and sick leave. Optional benefits available: supplemental life, dental, vision, flexible spending account, supplemental retirement plans.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
For full consideration, all application materials must be fully submitted by 5PM (Central Time) on the closing date.
Position Details: A complete Position Description is available as an attachment in the bottom right corner of this position announcement.
- Work with the Director and marketing strategists to build strong working relationships across the University with campus partners, vendors and other service providers in order to meet strategic goals and University-wide marketing initiatives.
- Use University and Division strategic planning efforts to identify priorities, build integrated marketing plans and execute on approved plans.
- In-take marketing project requests from campus partners across the University, vet project details, assess level of priority, and if decide to move forward, assign to marketing strategist for execution.
- Oversee the Marketing Strategy Team in the development appropriate marketing strategies, tactics and best practices to meet strategic goals of the University, the Division and our campus partners, including:
- Research new trends, marketing technologies and target audiences to determine effective marketing strategies and tactics
- Develop and document marketing campaigns/plans, including goals, strategies/tactics, timeline, budget and evaluation
- Serve as a project manager and main point of contact for assigned portfolio of campus partners, including:
- Collaborate with UND departments and Marketing & Creative Strategy teams to develop and execute marketing and communication plans for the recruitment and retention of undergraduate, graduate, law, medical, online and non-credit students
- In-take project requests in timely manner
- Schedule necessary project “kick-off” meetings with partner and appropriate team members
- Build project plans in project management system with project details, assignments and timelines
- Manage workflow processes using established project management systems and protocols
- Provide status updates to clients and MCS team members, making sure both parties are well-informed of projects’ goals, expectations, timelines and deliverables
- Communicate frequently (daily if necessary) with campus partners to provide the highest quality of customer service
- Work with campus partners to obtain content, feedback and approval of marketing projects
- Participate in regular meetings
- Provide suggestions for enhanced communication, workflow or other processes that increase efficiencies, productivity, effectiveness and/or client satisfaction.
- Provide leadership and supervision to direct, implement and coordinate strategic marketing activities for the University and direct-report marketing team members to accomplish goals in a timely and efficient manner.
- Hire, train, evaluate and discipline staff, including identifying opportunities for professional development and growth
- Supervise recruitment marketing manager, campus marketing manager and content strategist / writer, including reviewing and approving work.
- Align marketing strategy work to create efficiencies, maximize resources and meet deadlines.
- Provide training and set expectations for direct reports to have the highest quality of campus partner relationships, including communication expectations, project management workflow, satisfaction, etc.
- Manage the overall project intake process, project assignments, timelines, communication and workflow for the Marketing Strategy Team in collaboration with other Marketing & Communication members.
- Identify needs and manage equipment/software resources needed by Marketing Strategy Team.
- Serve as backup for project implementation, including campus partner relations, project management and tactical execution, to support the Marketing Strategy Team’s workload.
- Support the workplace culture of UND by ensuring all team members demonstrate the professional conduct and values expected of all employees.
- Work with a team of professionals to oversee the generation and implementation of branding, recruitment and retention campaigns and communication plans from the development stage to the final evaluation.
- Review, provide feedback and approve the strategic development and production of traditional and digital communications, including printed publications, signage, websites, emails, videos, texting, social media, etc.
- Oversee the creation, management and implementation of funnel stage communication plans for each target audience for recruitment by working with the Office of Admissions and other campus partners.
- Oversee the creation, management and implementation of current student marketing and communication strategies to improve retention, including texting, social media and e-newsletters.
- Oversee the content strategy, brand messaging and copy writing for university communications, especially those geared toward prospective and current students.
- Regularly review communications to ensure accuracy, student-centered messaging and university branding, and provide input for enhanced clarity and/or creativity.
- Learn to effectively and efficiently use digital communication technologies as required, including OmniUpdate, Google Analytics, TargetX, Word Press, Mail Poet and social media platforms.
- Assist with brand management oversight and ensure UND Identity and Brand Standards are being followed for design and writing.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Creative Services team and various campus partners to evaluate key performance indicators (KPIs) and the return on investment (ROI) for marketing campaigns and strategies, including identifying measurable components, outlining measurement tactics, implementing tracking mechanisms, and using results to inform future campaigns.
- Evaluate and report campaign effectiveness using available quantitative and qualitative data, such as surveys, focus groups, Web analytics, click through rates, conversation rates, event attendance/participation, etc.
- Complete all assigned projects in an efficient, effective and timely manner.
- Contribute to an optimistic and enthusiastic workplace that challenges and energizes staff.
- Support the workplace culture of the Division and University by demonstrating the professional conduct and values expected of all employees.
- Participate in developing, implementing and continually evaluating the Division’s policies, processes and strategies and recommend changes when necessary.
- Follow Division and University systems and protocols for resource, project and file management.
- Actively participate in staff meetings, retreats, planning sessions, trainings, and other meetings/events as required.
- Volunteer to participate in at least one recruitment or retention event per year.
- Update Performance Management Plan in a timely manner and provide ongoing feedback to supervisor.
- Be forward thinking and explore new opportunities for growth and improvement. Continually improve and advance personal leadership through professional development and continuing education.
- Complete annual professional development goals by attending workshops, listening to webinars, reading articles or other learning opportunities as they relate to marketing strategy, especially in areas of higher education marketing, leadership and student engagement.
- Complete other duties as assigned, including serving on committees and assisting with University-wide initiatives on an as requested basis, including Marketing Council.
- Proven management experience, which includes hiring, evaluation, supervision, motivation, training, discipline, and appropriate delegation of work.
- Exceptional interpersonal and oral communication skills, with proven ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to motivate a team to work together toward common goals.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, solve problems and make sound decisions.
- Strong written communication skills, including writing marketing copy for the media, print and/or the Web.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to lead projects from concept to completion, including timeline development and project management.
- Strong ability to prioritize, organize, delegate and schedule work assignments.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and executing integrated marketing plans.
- Ability to have grace under pressure and work efficiently under time constraints while producing high quality work.
- Experience working in an environment with multiple deadlines, including proven ability to manage projects, prioritize and meet multiple requests.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, solve problems and make sound decisions.
- Familiarity with higher education marketing trends, strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrates understanding of marketing trends in today’s competitive environment, especially related to higher education.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, management or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible marketing and communications experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years of proven management/supervisory experience, which includes hiring, evaluation, supervision, motivation, training, discipline, and appropriate delegation of work.
- Intermediate to advanced computer experience in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Experience marketing programs and events, with a preference for experience in marketing educational or service-oriented programs.
- Experience working across diverse mediums, including print, digital, social networking, video and other emerging media.
- Successful completion of a Criminal History Background Check.
In compliance with federal law, all person hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hired.
- Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 5+ years of proven management/supervisory experience, which includes hiring, evaluation, coaching, training, discipline, and appropriate delegation and oversight of work.
- Project management training or certification.
- Experience in market research techniques.
- Experience in digital marketing techniques.
- Experience with the principles of customer relationship management, including the use of CRM software such as Salesforce.
To find out why living and working in Greater Grand Forks is way cooler, check out www.GrandForksisCooler.com
All information listed in this position announcement will be used by Human Resources, the Hiring Department, and EO/Title IX for screening, interviewing and selection purposes.
Confidentiality of Application Materials
Note: Pursuant to NDCC 44-04-18.27, applications and any records related to the applications that identify an applicant are confidential, except records related to the finalists of the position, which are open to the public after the search committee has identified the top three finalists who will be invited to campus.
UND is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be invited to provide information regarding their gender, race and/or ethnicity, veteran’s status and disability status during the application process. This information will remain confidential and separate from your application.
ND Veteran’s Preference
North Dakota Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University of North Dakota publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report includes the university’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, as well as three years’ of crime statistics for our campus. As a prospective employee, you are entitled to a copy of this report. The report and statistical data can be found online at http://und.edu/discover/_files/docs/annual-security-report.pdf. You may also request a paper copy of the report from the UND Police Department located at 3851 Campus Road, Grand Forks, ND 58202.