Controller - Grand Forks, ND
AE2S Construction is seeking an experienced Controller. This position is responsible for the supervision and direction of the accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll staff for AE2S Construction. Responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to: general ledger maintenance and reconciliation, preparation of financial statements, forecasting, budgeting, internal controls, audits, tax preparation, merger and acquisition activity, divestiture activity, cash management, and debt management. Controller is also responsible to coordinate the transactional processing activities of the District/Division Project Coordinators with the District/Division Managers.
- Manage and control general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll including improving procedures within the department.
- Prepare monthly journal entries, analyses, and account reconciliations as required to accurately close the monthly and annual fiscal periods.
- Manage intercompany transactions to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Manage and update document recordkeeping and accounting systems using automated financial systems.
- Ensure the timely preparation of the Company’s financial statements for the individual companies and the consolidated group.
- Support the CFO by gathering data and providing accurate financial statements and business information that analyzes business operations, trends, costs, opportunities, revenues, and expenses.
- Project, monitor, and manage cash flow to aid in maintaining the financial strength of the company.
- Prepare annual operating and capital budgets and performance projections in conjunction with the CFO.
- Process capital requests following the appropriate expenditure approval process.
- Maintain good internal controls to ensure that the company’s assets and financial records are safeguarded.
- Develop action plans relative to internal control needs to achieve operational efficiencies while maintaining a strong control environment.
- Prepare audit information and schedules and coordinate the audit completion with all external parties.
- Design and review financial policies and procedures in conjunction with the CFO as they are affected by tax laws and accounting practices, as well as to achieve operational efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Ensure timely and proper preparation of all federal and state tax income returns as well as various state filings (sales, use, etc.) and property tax returns.
- Assist, as requested, in the due diligence and the implementation of mergers, acquisitions, and major business unit purchases.
- Assist, as requested, in the divestiture/shutdown of the Company’s assets.
- Maintain banking relationships with lending institutions in conjunction with the CFO and other Accounting Management.
- Monitor and coordinate efforts for the timely collection of outstanding customer accounts receivable balances.
- Monitor debt-to-equity ratio, in conjunction with CFO and other Accounting Management, to ensure the appropriate short and long-term debt covenant compliance.
- Coordinate with others to help manage and support the Enterprise Vehicle Management program.
- Coordinate with others to help manage and support the timely reporting of all claims to our designated insurance broker.
- Work with other Company Management Team (General Manager, Division and District Managers, Safety Manager) to form a cohesive team focused on the overall management and success of the Company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration, or related field from an accredited four-year college; Master's degree preferred
- 10 plus years of experience as a Controller in corporate accounting; experience in a construction environment preferred
- CPA designation preferred
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Strong management and communication skills
- Up to date knowledge of current financial and accounting computer applications
AE2S Construction is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer